Topics : The West Java administration submitted a request to the central government on Wednesday to impose large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in five cities and regencies neighboring Jakarta to step up measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.The areas are Depok, Bekasi, Bekasi regency, Bogor as well as Bogor regency, all of which are virus-plagued satellite cities of Jakarta, the country’s epicenter of the outbreak.West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil said the five areas shared the same regional cluster of coronavirus transmissions with Jakarta and, therefore, the administration of both provinces should issue synchronized measures to curb the spread of the disease. Ridwan held a video conference with the regional heads of the five cities and regencies on Tuesday evening to discuss the issue and they agreed to submit a PSBB request to the Health Ministry.Jakarta and West Java have recorded the highest numbers of coronavirus infections in Indonesia, with 1,470 cases and 365 cases, respectively, out of the official country’s tally of 2,956 cases as of Wednesday.The fatalities recorded in the two provinces combined also make up more than half of the nationwide death toll of 240, with Jakarta reporting 114 deaths and West Java reporting 35 deaths from the disease. Bekasi has seen the most positive cases with 38, followed by Bandung with 36, Depok with 33 cases, Bogor with 31, Bekasi regency with 22 and Bogor regency with 22. Outside these areas, the number of positive cases has been under 10.The Health Ministry has approved Jakarta’s proposal to implement PSBB in the capital, the first region in the country to apply such a measure, which will start on Friday.Vice President Ma’ruf Amin has said that cities in West Java and Banten that are part of Greater Jakarta should jointly implement PSBB measures with the capital.Banten Governor Wahidin Halim said his administration, which includes Tangerang regency, Tangerang city and South Tangerang city, would also submit a request for PSBB status.With 212 confirmed cases as of Wednesday, Banten has the third-highest number of coronavirus cases in the country. The death toll in the province has reached 18.Read also: Jakarta will impose stronger mobility restrictions on Friday. Here’s what you need to know.Ridwan further said in a statement that the West Java, Jakarta and Banten administrations should, therefore, implement coordinated policies to curb transmission.”If the request is approved by the ministry, Greater Jakarta will have synchronized policies that can strengthen our efforts,” Ridwan said, adding that next week, he might submit a PSBB request for the provincial capital of Bandung.The West Java administration has distributed some 63,120 rapid COVID-19 testing kits to 27 regencies and cities, state agencies, hospitals and educational institutions.The province is prioritizing residents in Greater Jakarta and has targeted to test 10,200 residents in Depok, 7,980 in Bogor regency, 7,200 in Bekasi and 4,400 in Bogor.Ridwan aims to test at least 0.6 percent of West Java’s population of some 50 million people, reflecting on the successful testing rate in South Korea.According to West Java COVID-19 task force spokesperson Daud Achmad, 21,646 test results have returned, of which 826 showed a positive diagnosis for COVID-19. These patients will undergo additional swab tests.The province still lacks about 200,000 rapid testing kits, Daud said.Daud appealed to the people of West Java who are working or living outside the province not to return home during this crisis.“We have counted roughly 214,000 returning residents in West Java since March 22,” said Daud, fearing that the number would only increase as last year, the province saw 3.8 million people making homecoming trips for Idul Fitri. (syk) “Almost 70 percent of all coronavirus cases nationwide are in Greater Jakarta, which means that in addressing COVID-19, we should issue policies based on clusters instead of sectoral policies,” Ridwan said in a statement posted on his official Instagram account on Wednesday.
Rotorua Daily Post 4 May 2016Family First Comment: It is disgraceful that our justice system is designed in such a way that prosecutors go for a lower charge in order to guarantee a conviction. Shameful.Manslaughter convictions for the carers of a horrifically abused Taupo toddler show New Zealand’s homicide laws are a complete mess and a ground-up review is needed, a law expert says.Moko Rangitoheriri, 3, was assaulted over a two-month period in Taupo after his mother left him with a couple while she was in Auckland looking after another child in Starship hospital.Tania Shailer, 26, and David William Haerewa, 43, pleaded guilty to manslaughter charges on Monday in the High Court at Rotorua on what was supposed to be the first day of their murder trial.The pair tortured the child by kicking him, stomping on him and slapping him. They rubbed his own faeces in his face. He was eventually beaten to the point where he suffered facial swelling, internal bleeding, septic shock from his leaking bowel and swelling of the brain.Moko was left for four days suffering those injuries before the couple rang 111, saying he had fallen off a wood pile.Canterbury University law professor Chris Gallavin is calling on the Law Commission to consider different degrees of murder for cases like this.“New Zealand homicide laws are a complete mess, a total basketcase,” he said.“They need a review right from the ground up.”The Sensible Sentencing Trust also slammed the Crown’s decision to not pursue murder charges, with founder Garth McVicar saying plea bargaining was becoming a problem in the justice system.“This was Nia Glassie and the Kahui twins all rolled into one.”READ MORE: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=11632991
A preliminary hearing was held on Tuesday at the Los Angeles Superior Court for three suspects accused of slaying Xinran Ji, an engineering graduate student who was killed near the University Park campus in July. The evidentiary hearing allowed Deputy District Attorney John McKinney to present evidence to the jury.For the case to go to trial, McKinney has to demonstrate by standard of reasonable likelihood that the crime was committed by the teenage defendants. Jonathan Del Carmen, 19; Alberto Ochoa, 17; and Alejandra Guerrero, 16, are suspected of robbing and beating late Ji on his way home over the summer.McKinney presented footage from security cameras that show a group of people attacking the late student. A video captured by a camera at the entrance of Ji’s apartment building depicts him walking, covered in blood.Ochoa and Guerrero may face up to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Del Carmen and Garcia may face the death penalty.The preliminary hearing reconvenes on Wednesday.