Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

first_imgLinkedin Previous article#WATCH Wallace jailed for two hours for Shannon Airport breachNext articleDelorentos: Home Again John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print WhatsApp New high-end jobs for Shannon Twitter Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Flooding near O’Briensbridge Co Clare.Pic: Press 22RESIDENTS and business owners in flood-prone areas of Limerick and Clare are bracing themselves as water levels on the Shannon are set to peak by the weekend.Met Éireann also issued a further weather warning as 35mm of rain – almost a third of the average monthly rainfall for December – was due to fall on parts of the country.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up High-risk riverside areas such as Clonlara, Montpelier and Castleconnell are on alert as residents were told to prepare for the worst flooding in 20 years.The Irish Defence Forces were deployed to assist with flood defences in Clonlara in the early hours of Wednesday morning, as a number of homes in the Springfield area were cut off due to floodwater.Limerick City and County Council received confirmation from the ESB on Wednesday afternoon of its decision not to change the discharge level at the Parteen Weir from its current level of 375 cubic meters per second (cumecs).However, the local authority warned that water levels along the lower River Shannon at Montpelier, Castleconnell and the Mountshannon Road, Lisnagry are continuing to rise and that they could elevate further during the next few days.The council also indicated that road closures are expected in affected areas.On Wednesday, members of the Defence Forces arrived in Clonlara to deliver sandbags after Clare County Council sought their assistance.Water levels rose dramatically on Tuesday evening in the Lower River Shannon south of Parteen Weir resulting in the encroachment of floodwaters on a small number of properties in Springfield, Clonlara.Flooding in East Clare in Springfield, Clonlara where the river Shannon has once agin burst its banks. Philip Quinlivan pictured draining flood water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22A number of roads are impassable in the area, including the main road from Mount Catherine (DeCourcy) Bridge to Cottage Cross.Several properties have been isolated and the affected homeowners will be assisted with access to and from their properties by Clare Fire and Rescue Service and Clare Civil Defence.Local councillor Michael Begley told the Limerick Post: “The main artery through Springfield in Clonlara is no longer accessible by car. The army were here filling and delivering sandbags to the five houses that have been cut off .“A further four houses that are most at risk have been secured in so far as is possible. If the water reaches 2009 levels, there are another seven or eight houses at risk.”Upriver on the Limerick side of the Shannon, the Irish Red Cross has established an emergency drinking water collection point at Montpelier.“Bottled water is in position. The Limerick Red Cross organisation is on alert and communication with the local authority is ongoing,” said a Red Cross spokesperson.Limerick City and County Council is anticipating flooding in Castleconnell, Montpelier and the Mountshannon Road in Lisnagry.Local authority staff are distributing more than 2,000 sandbags in the flood-prone areas and are erecting flood defences, with pumping operations underway between Montpelier and Castleconnell.A flood boom, which is a large inflatable wall, was also installed in Castleconnell to channel floodwater away from the village.The flood defences were put in place after the ESB confirmed on Monday that it is to increase the release of water from the Parteen Weir from 315 cubic meters per second (cumecs) to 375 cumecs.Met Éireann also issued weather warnings for the West as 20-35mm of additional rainfall was forecast for Clare, Connacht, Donegal and Kerry on Wednesday.Liz Hogan and two of her children Aoife and Mark being rescued from their home which is surrounded by water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22According to the National Emergency Coordination Centre, there is a “high risk” of flooding along the Shannon region from Limerick city to Athlone over the coming days, while the OPW warned that river water levels would rise by about half a metre.Elsewhere, the government has pledged €15 million in financial aid for individuals and business affected by this week’s flooding, and has promised to fast-tract the funding to ensure that those in need receive it as soon as possible.Clare TD Michael McNamara has called for flood protection infrastructure to be put in place in East Clare “as a matter of urgency”. The Labour Party deputy said that as a result of climate change “catastrophic flooding is expected more frequently and flood protection infrastructure must be put in place to mitigate against this”.“The 2009 flooding was regarded as a hundred year event yet it has now been repeated scarcely six years later”, he said. Email Facebookcenter_img NewsLimerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters riseBy John Keogh – December 9, 2015 1434 Shannon Chamber Webinar to help people cope with the stresses of COVID-19 Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Advertisement Family home in Castleconnell #LimerickPostProperty RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Only re-integration will solve Shannon Airport crisis TAGScastleconnellClareClare civil defenceClare County CouncilClare fire and rescueCllr Michael BegleyClonlaraESBfeaturedIrish Defence ForcesIrish Red CrosslimerickLimerick City and County CouncilMet ÉireannMichael McNamara TDMontpelierNational EMergency Coordination CentreStorm Desmond last_img read more

Read more on Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

Rads cram Rad Cam in 24 hour stand-off

first_imgThere were also classes and talks, workshops and poetry readings, all on the topic of protests, which carried on throughout the evening. This “teach-in” was part of the Oxford Free University movement. “Let’s reclaim this space for the education we deserve,” said one speaker.Library staff inside the building tolerated and in some cases helped the occupation. The senior member of staff present, said it was frustrating but not inappropriate. “It’s a library,” the senior staff member said. “This is stopping students from studying, but I can completely understand why people feel so strongly about it. It’s a really important issue. There isn’t really any anger from the library staff”.The librarians announced that they would be staying in the Lower Camera, even after the library closed. A student recalled, “The librarians said they were staying there out of love for the library. There was a healthy relationship between librarians and protesters; the librarians were included in our discussions.”Earlier, a Police Inspector had asked to enter the library to begin negotiations with the protesters, but he was told to wait until the meeting had finished. Meanwhile the police circled the building, chained up the side exits, posted mounted officers in the square and began searching and filming everybody who came out on suspicion of theft.During the afternoon, police guarding the gate called the situation “ludicrous” and said that the occupation “had ruined it for everybody.”One student said, “We had grand, lavish feasts inside. There was more food than I’d ever seen. People from outside were passing it through the windows all afternoon.” There was an attempt at a surge to get more people in just after 7 o’clock, but this was repulsed by the police. A more successful break in took place in the early hours of Thursday morning, at around 1.30am, when a group of students broke police lines and joined the occupation downstairs. Students within the building explained how “at 1.30am there was a big bang at the door and suddenly a group of twelve people burst in to join us. They must have taken the police by surprise.” Radical Oxford students were evacuated from the Radcliffe Camera by police this afternoon, after occupying the Lower Camera for over twenty four hours. Protesters, who had met at Carfax at 1 pm on Wednesday, marched down High Street, before turning into Radcliffe Square. Here, demonstrators halted, before overpowering a thin police cordon and storming the entrance of the Rad Cam. The students issued a statement online from within the building, saying, “We – students and residents of Oxford – are occupying the Radcliffe Camera because we oppose all public sector cuts. We stand in solidarity with those who are affected by the cuts and those who are resisting them.”Police were not allowing demonstrators through the gate into the Rad Cam. However, after some students jumped over, many more followed suit, taking a sound system and food in with them, and locking the main door against the police.One student received a serious head wound in the stampede, after she fell headfirst onto the cobbles, and had to be taken to hospital.The take over was premeditated, and some students had been stationed within the library since the morning. As the marchers from the protest entered the building, large banners reading “Fight the Cuts” were unfurled from the upper floor of the building. An anonymous student with a megaphone announced “This is now a public library. We are making history here.”A protestor told Cherwell, “When we got inside there was a group studying. It was announced that the lower section of the building was part of an occupation, and if people wanted to continue working undisturbed, they should move upstairs. Some decided to continue studying downstairs, but the majority moved up. Then we bought the sound system in, started dancing, and the carnival atmosphere really took hold.” After the initial party died down, students announced the start of a consensus meeting to fix their demands to the University. The meeting continued during the course of the afternoon, as students discussed why they were there, what it was exactly they stood for and what their demands were. The workshops and meetings continued the following morning. A student described the atmosphere overnight. “Everyone was still in with the plan and no one was getting cold feet. Some had to leave to go to their jobs and tutorials. But those that could, stayed.”On Thursday, occupiers connected via Skype to other universities such as Edinburgh and UCL, who were also occupying buildings in their universities. Staff disconnected the internet, but people connected via USB wireless sticks and phones. A student said, “We gave Edinburgh a tour of the Rad Cam and we both talked about what each other were doing and plans for the future. Throughout the night and second day the police kept reading out legal statements informing us that our actions were illegal and we were accountable to trespassing. They tried to push documents through the door to make us read them, but we pushed them straight back.”The occupation of the Lower Camera continued during Thursday, until the police broke in. “I heard the stack door suddenly being smashed at around 4.30pm. The police started battering down the door and stormed in. We realised there was no point in resisting and so we retreated upstairs as a group. “The Senior Proctor came in a read out a statement about having to leave. There was a struggle; the police wanted us to leave one by one so they could search us, because of reports of a laptop and books being stolen. “A lot of people were complaining about bruising to their arms. The police were very strict.”The occupiers, consisting of Oxford residents and students from Cherwell College as well as Oxford University, also received messages of solidarity from the NUT National Executive and the Oxford Anti-Cuts Alliance. Some academics also declared their full support, including Dr John Parrington, the Senior Tutor in Medicine at Worcester.“I came to the occupation earlier tonight to deliver a message of support,” he wrote, “but the police were denying entry. I fully support your action against the disgusting attacks on education currently being attempted by the government…students should continue their protests until we beat back these government attacks, and lecturers and other workers should support these protests.”The reaction from students was more mixed. Carla Neuss, a second year English Master’s student at St Peter’s College, said she was frustrated that her work had been disrupted by the protest.“All I want to do is read Walter Shilton’s ‘Mixed Life on Devotional Literature’,” she said, “and all I’m reading right now is ‘F**K FEES.’”The statement which the demonstrators released online stated, “We believe that education should be public and free for all. To this end we demand that the University of Oxford reiterate its opposition to education cuts and commit to not increasing fees for any courses. This library is now open to all members of the public and we invite you to join us.” A spokesperson from the University Press Office said, “The University of Oxford supports freedom of expression and the right to peaceful protest. This naturally includes protest about government spending plans for higher education. However, this was an unlawful occupation and one that caused considerable inconvenience and disruption for students wishing to pursue their studies.”last_img read more

Read more on Rads cram Rad Cam in 24 hour stand-off

Dragon Stout ‘Community Cup’ Street-ball championship to kick off November 22

first_imgTHE official fixtures for the inaugural Dragon Stout ‘Community Cup’ Street-ball championship, which is slated to commence at the National Gymnasium on Friday November 22nd, was released yesterday.This was revealed by Dragon Stout Brand Manager, Jamal Baird, via an official media statement. He also disclosed that the event will be officially launched on Tuesday, November 19th, at the National Gymnasium from 11:00hrs.Baird also confirmed that all systems are in place for the start of the tournament, adding, “The four-day elimination championship, which was scheduled to start on November 15th, has now been scheduled to start on November 22nd.It will continue on November 29th and December 6th, with the final slated for December 13th. The overall objective of the tournament is to align the emerging brand with the grassroot movement.”According to the correspondence, “Ansa McAl is pleased to be associated with yet another sporting event, specifically at the grassroots level. Having been a former player myself and a proud product of the ghetto that was given a chance, I’m am elated to stage the inaugural community cup under the prestige dark and smooth Dragon Stout brand which align and position to be a grassroot flag bearer.”The release concluded, “The primary stimulus for staging this football event is to highlight and indicate Dragon Stout intended support for sports at grassroot and community level, hence there was no hesitation; and this is an alliance that I envision will continue for the foreseeable future. Given that it is a community-based initiative, it gives the urban community a chance to be seen and heard while having fun in a competitive but friendly environment.”The winner of the event will collect $300,000 while the second, third and fourth place finishers will pocket $150,000, $100,000 and $50,000 respectively.Complete Tournament FixturesDay-1 Round of 16– Nov 22ndSection-A(1) Sparta vs Showstoppers(2) Tiger Bay vs Alex. Village(3) Gold is Money vs Melanie-B(4) Sophia vs Assassin BallersSection-B(1) Bent Street vs Broad St(2) Future Stars vs LA Ballers(3) Back Circle vs Albouystown(4) Leopold St vs Ansa All-StarsDay-2 Quarterfinals-Nov 29thSection-A(5)-Winner (1) vs Winner (2)(6)-Winner (3) vs Winner (4)Section-B(7)-Winner (1) vs Winner (2)(8)-Winner (3) vs Winner (4)Day-3 Semi-finals-December 6thSection-A(9)-Winner (5) vs Winner (6)Section-B(10)-Winner (7) vs Winner (8)Day-4 Final-December 13thWinner (9) vs Winner (10)3rd PlaceLoser (9) vs Loser (10)last_img read more

Read more on Dragon Stout ‘Community Cup’ Street-ball championship to kick off November 22