Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

first_imgLinkedin Previous article#WATCH Wallace jailed for two hours for Shannon Airport breachNext articleDelorentos: Home Again John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print WhatsApp New high-end jobs for Shannon Twitter Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Flooding near O’Briensbridge Co Clare.Pic: Press 22RESIDENTS and business owners in flood-prone areas of Limerick and Clare are bracing themselves as water levels on the Shannon are set to peak by the weekend.Met Éireann also issued a further weather warning as 35mm of rain – almost a third of the average monthly rainfall for December – was due to fall on parts of the country.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up High-risk riverside areas such as Clonlara, Montpelier and Castleconnell are on alert as residents were told to prepare for the worst flooding in 20 years.The Irish Defence Forces were deployed to assist with flood defences in Clonlara in the early hours of Wednesday morning, as a number of homes in the Springfield area were cut off due to floodwater.Limerick City and County Council received confirmation from the ESB on Wednesday afternoon of its decision not to change the discharge level at the Parteen Weir from its current level of 375 cubic meters per second (cumecs).However, the local authority warned that water levels along the lower River Shannon at Montpelier, Castleconnell and the Mountshannon Road, Lisnagry are continuing to rise and that they could elevate further during the next few days.The council also indicated that road closures are expected in affected areas.On Wednesday, members of the Defence Forces arrived in Clonlara to deliver sandbags after Clare County Council sought their assistance.Water levels rose dramatically on Tuesday evening in the Lower River Shannon south of Parteen Weir resulting in the encroachment of floodwaters on a small number of properties in Springfield, Clonlara.Flooding in East Clare in Springfield, Clonlara where the river Shannon has once agin burst its banks. Philip Quinlivan pictured draining flood water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22A number of roads are impassable in the area, including the main road from Mount Catherine (DeCourcy) Bridge to Cottage Cross.Several properties have been isolated and the affected homeowners will be assisted with access to and from their properties by Clare Fire and Rescue Service and Clare Civil Defence.Local councillor Michael Begley told the Limerick Post: “The main artery through Springfield in Clonlara is no longer accessible by car. The army were here filling and delivering sandbags to the five houses that have been cut off .“A further four houses that are most at risk have been secured in so far as is possible. If the water reaches 2009 levels, there are another seven or eight houses at risk.”Upriver on the Limerick side of the Shannon, the Irish Red Cross has established an emergency drinking water collection point at Montpelier.“Bottled water is in position. The Limerick Red Cross organisation is on alert and communication with the local authority is ongoing,” said a Red Cross spokesperson.Limerick City and County Council is anticipating flooding in Castleconnell, Montpelier and the Mountshannon Road in Lisnagry.Local authority staff are distributing more than 2,000 sandbags in the flood-prone areas and are erecting flood defences, with pumping operations underway between Montpelier and Castleconnell.A flood boom, which is a large inflatable wall, was also installed in Castleconnell to channel floodwater away from the village.The flood defences were put in place after the ESB confirmed on Monday that it is to increase the release of water from the Parteen Weir from 315 cubic meters per second (cumecs) to 375 cumecs.Met Éireann also issued weather warnings for the West as 20-35mm of additional rainfall was forecast for Clare, Connacht, Donegal and Kerry on Wednesday.Liz Hogan and two of her children Aoife and Mark being rescued from their home which is surrounded by water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22According to the National Emergency Coordination Centre, there is a “high risk” of flooding along the Shannon region from Limerick city to Athlone over the coming days, while the OPW warned that river water levels would rise by about half a metre.Elsewhere, the government has pledged €15 million in financial aid for individuals and business affected by this week’s flooding, and has promised to fast-tract the funding to ensure that those in need receive it as soon as possible.Clare TD Michael McNamara has called for flood protection infrastructure to be put in place in East Clare “as a matter of urgency”. The Labour Party deputy said that as a result of climate change “catastrophic flooding is expected more frequently and flood protection infrastructure must be put in place to mitigate against this”.“The 2009 flooding was regarded as a hundred year event yet it has now been repeated scarcely six years later”, he said. Email Facebookcenter_img NewsLimerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters riseBy John Keogh – December 9, 2015 1434 Shannon Chamber Webinar to help people cope with the stresses of COVID-19 Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Advertisement Family home in Castleconnell #LimerickPostProperty RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Only re-integration will solve Shannon Airport crisis TAGScastleconnellClareClare civil defenceClare County CouncilClare fire and rescueCllr Michael BegleyClonlaraESBfeaturedIrish Defence ForcesIrish Red CrosslimerickLimerick City and County CouncilMet ÉireannMichael McNamara TDMontpelierNational EMergency Coordination CentreStorm Desmond last_img read more

Read more on Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

USC Village businesses limited amid the coronavirus

first_imgOf the 33 retailers in USC Village, only 14 remain open. Those that remain open have reduced hours, enacted safety precautions and cut down on employees to accomodate for reduced foot traffic, some manning their businesses with one- or two-person crews. All restaurants have suspended dine-in options, limiting orders to takeout or delivery.  “USC Village is here to serve our neighbors during this unprecedented crisis and will remain a resource to the public,” the USC Village website states. “For your safety and the safety of others, tenants at USC Village enforce social distancing measures, including separation of individuals by at least six feet and staggered entrance to limit the numbers indoors.” “It is a struggle to make payroll and pay for parts,” Garber said. “We’re in this time where there’s not much support for business owners. There’s just a level of uncertainty and [we’re] just doing our best to stay strong and make it through this time and support our customers.” “It kind of feels like a lemonade stand in a way,” manager Allen Mariano said. “It’s difficult trying to create a sense of welcoming.” “Unfortunately, we don’t have as much — almost zero — in-house sales, so all of our sales have to come through takeout or delivery or catering,” said Will Hotchstatter, a manager at USC Village Greenleaf. “Recently we’ve been doing catering for the Children’s Hospital in Hollywood. So, that has been taking up a lot of our sales as well as just making sure that we’re able to give back to the nurses and doctors and everyone who has been working so hard toward helping the community.” With Gov. Gavin Newsom’s implementation of the statewide stay-at-home order March 19, other businesses have seen a shift in their primary source of income as consumers search for new ways to occupy their time. “All of us in the Village invested a lot, a lot of time and money creating our business, because we were given an empty spot, basically, when we moved in, and we built what we have,” Garber said. “So all of us … want to make it work, and work with University to help us all stay viable … A lot of us here really want to be a part of USC for the long term.” “I’m not even the owner, but I definitely take ownership because this place definitely grows on you and it definitely feels like family,” Mariano said. “Of course, I worry about everyone who has to pay rent and has to put food on the table, and I think that’s the biggest element of stress I have: making sure everyone’s taken care of.” Once swarming with students lounging on sun-soaked couches, stumbling out of Trader Joe’s laden with groceries and lining up for midday caffeine fixes, USC Village now stands empty, with the exception of a few mask-donning patrons scurrying to buy essential goods. With classes moved online and campus now deserted, many businesses have been forced to close temporarily or cut their operations drastically.  Many others, like Wahlburgers and Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop, have had to close their doors until students return to campus. Citing loss of revenue, the USC Village Wahlburgers closed indefinitely Tuesday with employees expected to be rehired once ot reopens, according to Wahlburgers general manager Brandon Sharpe. Twenty-five hourly employees from the USC Village branch of Greenleaf have been temporarily laid off, and 11 managers from both the USC and Hollywood branches have relocated to the three stores that remain open. To maintain social distancing, Dulce Cafe set up a table in front of its shop to limit customer-employee interactions and possible contamination within the restaurant. Garber said she has not received clear directions from the University on how it will support her business and hopes USC will communicate a plan soon. She worries that with no end to the coronavirus pandemic in sight, many small businesses will have to permanently shut their doors.  “We’ve been selling a lot more bikes and doing a lot less repairs,” said Johnny Oball, head of service and retail for Solé Bicycles. “We do a lot of direct-to-consumer sales online, and we’ve seen a tremendous increase of online sales. We’ve been doing really, really, really well online and kind of just breaking even in store, so it’s a little different with us because we are still essential being a bike shop, and cycling [is] still an essential activity.” Some businesses, however, have reduced the number of employees working in their stores. Without the need for waiters to serve dine-in customers, some restaurants, like Kobunga Korean Grill, only have two employees working at a time, with one person taking orders and the other preparing food in the back. While Dulce has not had to lay off employees, uncertainty over the length and severity of the coronavirus crisis presents an ever-looming stressor for management. With fewer people on campus, businesses in USC Village have reduced operating hours. The move has decreased revenue, which some business owners worry may impact their ability to remain open during the current pandemic. (Daily Trojan file photo) As service-based retailers see a drastic reduction of patronage, many small businesses worry about their long-term survival. Emily Garber, the owner of Apple Doc, the Mac repair clinic in USC Village, said that traffic has been reduced to less than a quarter of their normal level. “Like other landlords in Los Angeles and around the country, USC is evaluating each tenant based on its circumstances and will make a determination about how to respond on that basis,” Wilson wrote. “We have been communicating with our tenants and have identified resources available for them to support their businesses.” Brian Wilson, the executive director of real estate development and leasing at USC, said he was encouraged that select businesses have been able to continue serving the community and providing a source of income for their employees in an email statement to the Daily Trojan.last_img read more

Read more on USC Village businesses limited amid the coronavirus