Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

first_imgLinkedin Previous article#WATCH Wallace jailed for two hours for Shannon Airport breachNext articleDelorentos: Home Again John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print WhatsApp New high-end jobs for Shannon Twitter Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Flooding near O’Briensbridge Co Clare.Pic: Press 22RESIDENTS and business owners in flood-prone areas of Limerick and Clare are bracing themselves as water levels on the Shannon are set to peak by the weekend.Met Éireann also issued a further weather warning as 35mm of rain – almost a third of the average monthly rainfall for December – was due to fall on parts of the country.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up High-risk riverside areas such as Clonlara, Montpelier and Castleconnell are on alert as residents were told to prepare for the worst flooding in 20 years.The Irish Defence Forces were deployed to assist with flood defences in Clonlara in the early hours of Wednesday morning, as a number of homes in the Springfield area were cut off due to floodwater.Limerick City and County Council received confirmation from the ESB on Wednesday afternoon of its decision not to change the discharge level at the Parteen Weir from its current level of 375 cubic meters per second (cumecs).However, the local authority warned that water levels along the lower River Shannon at Montpelier, Castleconnell and the Mountshannon Road, Lisnagry are continuing to rise and that they could elevate further during the next few days.The council also indicated that road closures are expected in affected areas.On Wednesday, members of the Defence Forces arrived in Clonlara to deliver sandbags after Clare County Council sought their assistance.Water levels rose dramatically on Tuesday evening in the Lower River Shannon south of Parteen Weir resulting in the encroachment of floodwaters on a small number of properties in Springfield, Clonlara.Flooding in East Clare in Springfield, Clonlara where the river Shannon has once agin burst its banks. Philip Quinlivan pictured draining flood water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22A number of roads are impassable in the area, including the main road from Mount Catherine (DeCourcy) Bridge to Cottage Cross.Several properties have been isolated and the affected homeowners will be assisted with access to and from their properties by Clare Fire and Rescue Service and Clare Civil Defence.Local councillor Michael Begley told the Limerick Post: “The main artery through Springfield in Clonlara is no longer accessible by car. The army were here filling and delivering sandbags to the five houses that have been cut off .“A further four houses that are most at risk have been secured in so far as is possible. If the water reaches 2009 levels, there are another seven or eight houses at risk.”Upriver on the Limerick side of the Shannon, the Irish Red Cross has established an emergency drinking water collection point at Montpelier.“Bottled water is in position. The Limerick Red Cross organisation is on alert and communication with the local authority is ongoing,” said a Red Cross spokesperson.Limerick City and County Council is anticipating flooding in Castleconnell, Montpelier and the Mountshannon Road in Lisnagry.Local authority staff are distributing more than 2,000 sandbags in the flood-prone areas and are erecting flood defences, with pumping operations underway between Montpelier and Castleconnell.A flood boom, which is a large inflatable wall, was also installed in Castleconnell to channel floodwater away from the village.The flood defences were put in place after the ESB confirmed on Monday that it is to increase the release of water from the Parteen Weir from 315 cubic meters per second (cumecs) to 375 cumecs.Met Éireann also issued weather warnings for the West as 20-35mm of additional rainfall was forecast for Clare, Connacht, Donegal and Kerry on Wednesday.Liz Hogan and two of her children Aoife and Mark being rescued from their home which is surrounded by water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22According to the National Emergency Coordination Centre, there is a “high risk” of flooding along the Shannon region from Limerick city to Athlone over the coming days, while the OPW warned that river water levels would rise by about half a metre.Elsewhere, the government has pledged €15 million in financial aid for individuals and business affected by this week’s flooding, and has promised to fast-tract the funding to ensure that those in need receive it as soon as possible.Clare TD Michael McNamara has called for flood protection infrastructure to be put in place in East Clare “as a matter of urgency”. The Labour Party deputy said that as a result of climate change “catastrophic flooding is expected more frequently and flood protection infrastructure must be put in place to mitigate against this”.“The 2009 flooding was regarded as a hundred year event yet it has now been repeated scarcely six years later”, he said. Email Facebookcenter_img NewsLimerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters riseBy John Keogh – December 9, 2015 1434 Shannon Chamber Webinar to help people cope with the stresses of COVID-19 Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Advertisement Family home in Castleconnell #LimerickPostProperty RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Only re-integration will solve Shannon Airport crisis TAGScastleconnellClareClare civil defenceClare County CouncilClare fire and rescueCllr Michael BegleyClonlaraESBfeaturedIrish Defence ForcesIrish Red CrosslimerickLimerick City and County CouncilMet ÉireannMichael McNamara TDMontpelierNational EMergency Coordination CentreStorm Desmond last_img read more

Read more on Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

Dave Matthews Band Weaves ‘Black and Blue Bird’ Tour Debut Amidst ‘Crash’-Heavy Tampa Show

first_imgDave Matthews Band hit Tampa, FL last night as part of their 25th anniversary tour, surprising fans with a plethora of throwbacks, a tour debut, and plenty of staple tunes. The night dove straight into “Lie in Our Graves,” which was the first of six songs to be performed from the 1996 Crash album. The band also surprised fans with a tour debut of “Black and Blue Bird”, a song that was welcomed to the mix last spring of 2015. From the crowd-pleasing “Crash Into Me,’ to the jam-heavy “Big Eyed Fish” > “Bismarck” and “Proudest Monkey” > “Satellite” segments, Dave’s Florida run is bringing more than just the heat. Enjoy these fan-shot videos from the scorcher below!#41Funny The Way It IsTomorrow, the band heads to Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre in West Palm Beach, FL.Dave Matthews Band @ MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre, Tampa, FL:Lie in Our Graves, Crash into Me, Belly Belly Nice, Black and Blue Bird, Crush, Big Eyed Fish > Bismarck, Proudest Monkey > Satellite, Say Goodbye, #41, Tripping Billies, Digging a Ditch, Funny the Way It Is, Corn Bread > Lie In Our Graves reprise, Stay (Wasting Time)Encore: Granny > Pantala Naga Pampa > Rapunzel[Setlist via DMBAlmanac]last_img read more

Read more on Dave Matthews Band Weaves ‘Black and Blue Bird’ Tour Debut Amidst ‘Crash’-Heavy Tampa Show

Report: China had human H5N1 case in late 2003

first_imgJun 22, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – A 24-year-old Beijing man died of H5N1 avian influenza in November 2003, nearly two years before China reported any human H5N1 cases to the World Health Organization (WHO), according to Chinese scientists writing in today’s New England Journal of Medicine.The letter has renewed speculation about how many H5N1 cases might have been missed or not reported in China, especially before late 2005, according to news services.And in an unusual twist, the New England Journal said the authors asked that the letter be withdrawn, but the issue had already been published. The authors did not explain why they wanted to withdraw the letter, but the journal was investigating, according to an editor’s note on the journal’s Web site.News reports said the request to withdraw the article was sent in an e-mail message yesterday morning. Karen Pederson, a spokeswoman for the journal, could not speculate why the scientist made the request, according to the Associated Press (AP).The letter says the man’s illness originally was thought to be severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which was emerging in China in late 2003. Also, the H5N1 strain identified in the case was found to share characteristics with H5N1 viruses from poultry in widely scattered parts of China and even in Japan.The earliest human H5N1 case in mainland China included by the WHO in its current global case count occurred in October 2005. The WHO launched that count in early 2004, shortly after cases began cropping up frequently.However, in February 2003, H5N1 infection was confirmed in two members of a Hong Kong family who had fallen ill while visiting mainland China (see link to CIDRAP News story below). The first known human H5N1 cases occurred in Hong Kong in 1997. The virus did not surface again in people until 2003.Report surprises WHOWHO officials were reported to be surprised by today’s report, which came from eight scientists at four different Beijing medical facilities.”We will formally request the Ministry of Health to clarify this” and why it has taken more than 2 years for the results to be announced, said Roy Wadia, WHO spokesman in China, as quoted in an AP story yesterday.In a Canadian Press story yesterday, Wadia said, “We would certainly want much more information as to exactly what happened, who this case was, what the possible source of infection was, where he was infected, the treatment—all the standard questions.””It raises questions as to how many other cases may not have been found at the time or may have been found retrospectively in testing,” he told Bloomberg news in a story today.A New England Journal editor, Lindsey R. Baden, MD, could not explain the delay in reporting this case but suspected it took the Chinese scientists time to realize they had a novel H5N1 strain and sequence the virus, the AP story said.”It’s to be praised that they are doing this kind of work and sharing it,” he told the AP.Case was suspected to be SARSIn the letter, the scientist wrote, “Because the clinical manifestations were consistent with those of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and occurred when sporadic cases of SARS were described in southern China,” samples from the patient were tested for the SARS coronavirus. All the tests were negative.The authors cultured a virus from a sample of the patient’s lung and identified it as an H5 avian flu virus. “The genomic sequence of the virus (A/Beijing/01/2003) was determined, and its eight segments were genetically related most closely to corresponding sequences of influenza A (H5N1) viruses that had been isolated from chickens in various regions in China in 2004,” the letter states.Specifically, the segments were most closely related to corresponding segments of H5N1 viruses from Guangdong province (in southeastern China), Jilin province (northeastern China), Hubei province (mideastern China), and Japan.”These findings,” the scientists write, “suggest that influenza A/Beijing/01/2003 may be a mixed virus.”The authors suggest that their findings have important implications for selecting viruses to use in an H5N1 vaccine. “The genetic distance between the isolate reported and the strain currently proposed for vaccine development (A/Vietnam/1203/2004) implies that viruses from different regions may need to be considered in the development of an effective vaccine against influenza A virus,” they conclude.A similar conclusion was reached by the authors of a massive phylogenetic analysis of H5N1 strains from Hong Kong and mainland China, reported earlier this year (see link to February CIDRAP News story below).Commenting on the letter, the WHO’s Wadia told Reuters, “It reinforces what we have known for a very long time, which is that the H5N1 virus has been in the environment of this part of the world for a while, and it’s therefore not surprising that you would have these sort of cases.”He added, “In fact, WHO said in February 2004, when China was awash in poultry outbreaks at the time, that it would not be inconceivable that there could be sporadic human cases on the Chinese mainland that may not have been tracked or confirmed.”The eight authors of the letter work at the State Key Laboratory of Pathogens and Biosecurity, the Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, the 309th Hospital of the People’s Liberation Army, and the Beijing Genomics Institute, all in Beijing.Zhu Q-Y, Qin E-D, Wang W, et al. Fatal infection with influenza A (H5N1) virus in China (letter). N Engl J Med 2006 Jun 22;354(25):2731-2 [Full text]See also:Mar 13, 2003, CIDRAP News story: “WHO issues alert over atypical pneumonia outbreaks in Asia”http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/other/sars/news/atypneumo.htmlFeb 10, 2005, CIDRAP News story: “Report depicts China as launching pad for avian flu”last_img read more

Read more on Report: China had human H5N1 case in late 2003

Spain captain Ramos releases World Cup song

first_imgIt’s safe to say Sergio Ramos didn’t make many new fans after his exploits in the Champions League final.So how does he try and change his villainous, bad boy persona? By turning into football’s answer to Justin Bieber.The Real Madrid defender and Spain captain has released his own World Cup 2018 song alongside Spanish singer Demarco Flamenco, called ‘Otra Estrella en tu Corazon’ – which translates to ‘Another star in your heart’.The lyrics include: “Come on, Spain, raise your voice; scream loudly, shout that goal. Thinking big we will achieve the best, fighting together, towards the star with honour. We have to try. May La Roja shine once more.”Ramos teased the video on his Instagram page and the accompanying music video, complete with boyband-style fist-clenching, has already had over 82,000 views since its release on Friday.This isn’t the first time the 32-year-old has flirted with the pop star life. He also sang lead vocals for Spain’s Euro 2016 song ‘La Roja Baila’ – which is more of a Eurovision ‘classic’ than his latest mid-tempo Spanish ballad. We’ll let you decide for yourself if it’s the best or worst thing since Despacito…last_img read more

Read more on Spain captain Ramos releases World Cup song