Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A JUDGE has praised the work of Limerick Gardaí who intercepted an “armed posse” on their way to the home of a family who were subjected to a high level of “premeditated intimidation”.Detective Garda Ivan Muldoon told Limerick Circuit Court that Gardaí received confidential information that eight men were on the way to a house at Bru na Grudhain, Castletroy in Limerick on October 16, 2013.The men, who were travelling in a Volkswagen Golf car, were armed with a variety of weapons including a pick axe handle, screwdrivers and a car jack.Gardaí, who had earlier evacuated Christopher and Nora O’Donnell and their children from the house, intercepted the car before “serious damage could be done”.Detective Muldoon said the incident was connected to a dispute between members of two extended families.Three men before the court, Shane Ryan Casey (21) of April Rise, Old Cork Road; Jason Stokes (23) of Woodpark, Castleconnell and Wesley Stokes (20) of Curragh Birin, Castletroy pleaded guilty to the possession of weapons.Shane Ryan Casey also pleaded guilty to causing criminal damage to the house in Castletroy and to two other charges dating back to September 2, 2013 where he was found in possession of a hurley and with causing criminal damage to the former home of the O’Donnell family.Stating that such intimidatory incidents could not be tolerated in society, Judge Tom O’Donnell they were “premeditated and always carried out by a large group to maximise the fear”.Following their guilty pleas which were entered last year, the court heard that both Wesley and Jason Stokes had engaged well with the Probation services.Suspending an 18-month prison sentence for three years for both Jason and Wesley Stokes, Judge O’Donnell said they were part of a “maximum effort to intimidate the family, but it was extremely fortunate that the armed posse was intercepted by Gardaí”.Jailing Shane Ryan Casey for two years and six months for the four offences, the judge said he was one of the “main protagonists” in the incident and he had to take a serious view of that.As he was taken into custody, Casey, who has previous convictions for beating a horse to death, shouted profanities at the court claiming that he just wanted to “spend time with his woman” and warned that “there’s a new family feud in Limerick”. WhatsApp Twitter Advertisement NewsGardaí praised for intercepting armed eight-man posseBy Staff Reporter – February 24, 2016 1169 Print Facebook Linkedin Email Previous article#GE16 – You ask the questions – part 3Next articlePrisoner jumped out Garda Station window while consulting with solicitor Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has denied he was being serious in saying manager Alan Pardew could lose his job if the Magpies lose to Stoke on Monday. “Dead. Finished. Over. One more game then that’s it.” According to the newspaper, which said the discussion was held outside a London pub, Ashley added: “That’s all I’m prepared to say about it and now that I’ve said it, it’s out there. You can do what you want with it. There’s only so much I can take.” The same report quoted a lawyer for Ashley, who said the billionaire owner of retail chain Sports Direct was humouring the reporter. Ashley has rarely discussed Newcastle affairs in public during his tenure. “Mr Ashley responded, tongue in cheek, that Mr Pardew had two more games before being sacked,” the lawyer was reported as saying. “To put this into perspective, over the past few weeks certain reporters have stated that they believe that Mr Pardew has two more games before being sacked. Mr Ashley was therefore ‘humouring’ your reporter.” Pardew is two years into an eight-year contract with Newcastle, who currently prop up the Barclays Premier League table after a winless start to the season. The Independent newspaper reports that the comments concerning Pardew’s future were made in conversation with one of its reporters, with a lawyer for Ashley later stressing they were intended as a joke. “He’s got one more game,” Ashley was quoted as saying. “If we lose against Stoke on Monday night then he’s gone. I have had enough. Press Association
NEW YORK — Rich Hill was walking briskly around the visitors’ clubhouse at Citi Field on Friday afternoon, a stim machine attached to his left knee. But the idea of trying to push off the pitching rubber with that knee and drive toward home plate made him grimace with recalled pain.Hill will have an MRI on his left knee when the Dodgers return to Los Angeles on Monday. Dr. Neal ElAttrache will examine Hill’s knee and determine the severity of the MCL strain the left-hander suffered during the first inning Thursday in Baltimore.Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said the preliminary diagnosis by the Dodgers’ training staff indicates the severity of the injury is “less than it was in spring training.” Hill suffered between a Grade 1 and 2 strain of the same ligament this spring and missed the first four weeks of the season as a result.Hill is ready to forge ahead in the meantime. He has asked the Dodgers’ equipment staff to have the brace he wore through the first three starts after his return this spring shipped to New York. Hill would like to at least try playing catch with the brace on to see what might possibly get him back on a mound sooner. Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Verdugo has been out since Aug. 4. Roberts all but ruled out Verdugo being on the active roster for the first round of the playoffs – but held out hope he could return later in the postseason if the Dodgers advance.“For us to think he’s going to start the postseason with us is very unlikely,” Roberts said Friday. “But we expect to play throughout October.”ALSOTurner was out of the lineup with an injured left ankle for the fifth consecutive game on Friday. Roberts said he does not expect Turner to start any of the games against the Mets this weekend but does expect him back in the lineup Tuesday against the Tampa Bay Rays.UP NEXTDodgers (LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu, 12-5, 2.45 ERA) at Mets (RHP Jacob deGrom, 9-8, 2.70 ERA), Saturday, 4:10 p.m. SportsNet LA (where available), KTLA/Ch. 5, 570 AM Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Thursday was Hill’s first start since June 19 when he injured the flexor tendon in his left elbow. The Dodgers had planned for Hill to make four starts in September and then be their fourth starter in the postseason.Roberts wasn’t ready to write that off yet, as unlikely as it seems.“Right now obviously, we’re running up against the calendar,” Roberts said. “But I just hesitate to say what we’re going to do with Rich until we know.”Rookie right-hander Tony Gonsolin will make Hill’s scheduled start on Wednesday. But Roberts said there is no need to name a fourth postseason starter behind Clayton Kershaw, Hyun-Jin Ryu and Walker Buehler. He raised the possibility of a combined effort by relievers replacing Hill instead.“If you look at the potential structure, construction of the relievers, a lot of our guys have that ability to go multiples (of innings),” he said. “There’s nothing that says you have to name a Game 4 starter in the middle of September. However, we get there or get through a potential Game 4, I think we will have the means and the arms to do it.” MUNCY RETURNSMax Muncy was back in the starting lineup on Friday night, 16 days after taking a 95-mph fastball off his wrist and suffering a slight fracture.Muncy spent three days in Arizona before rejoining the Dodgers, taking live batting practice off minor-league pitchers at Camelback Ranch.“It feels okay. I’m not going to say it feels 100 percent because that would just be a lie,” he said. “But it feels okay. It’s not affecting the swing at all. As long as that’s the case, everything should be fine.”Muncy said his wrist still feels a little “weird” when throwing but Roberts said he won’t hesitate to play Muncy at second base (he was at first base Friday).Muncy is wearing a brace on his right wrist while batting. He won’t wear it while playing the field because it might hinder his throwing. The brace is similar to ones worn by Chris Taylor and Justin Turner, both of whom suffered fractures in their glove-side wrists.“Yeah, we created a little brace for it. Something I can take on and off,” he said. “It’ll be an adjustment to get used to that. … They kind of McGyver-ed it a little bit.”VERDUGO UNLIKELYOutfielder Alex Verdugo will join the Dodgers when the team returns to Los Angeles for a homestand starting Tuesday. But he has not resumed workouts since being shut down with back pain earlier this week.Verdugo made one start on a rehab assignment before suffering a flareup of the back issue that has bothered him on and off since May.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
LOS ANGELES – As the distractions around Lonzo Ball have refused to fade and the headlines become more salacious, Lakers coach Luke Walton has remained committed to helping his point guard maintain focus.“I don’t know where it gets (to be) too much and how he reacts to it,” Walton said, “but I’ve made a point to talk to him and let him know, whether or not he needs it, that my belief and our team’s belief in him is 100 percent there.”On Sunday, it was LaVar Ball vs. Donald Trump. Trump sharply countered Ball’s assertion that the President had little to do with the release of three UCLA basketball players, including his middle son LiAngelo, after they were detained after shoplifting from three stores in China.Trump tweeted: “Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!” The Lakers just can’t avoid the antics and absurdity of LaVar’s sideshow. His cultural relevance is tethered to his son’s success with the Lakers.Lonzo Ball has struggled in his rookie season. Entering Sunday’s game against Denver, the No. 2 overall draft choice was shooting just 30.8 percent from the field and averaging 8.8 points, 6.8 assists and 6.6 rebounds per game. Shooting troubles aside, those might seem reasonable numbers for a 20-year-old point guard if not for the attention his father has made sure he receives.“He’s got more on his plate than I could ever imagine anyone having,” Walton said, “especially at his age. So it’s our job to be here and let him know that we support him and we believe in him.”Walton said it was surreal a week earlier when it was first reported that Trump had asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to intervene on behalf of the players. By Sunday, he seemed resigned to those kinds of stories occupying his team’s orbit.“To me, it’s all about the fact that we have three young college, American students back home,” Walton said. “That’s the most important thing. I’m not really into the whole argument back and forth. I’m just glad that they’re back home and able to be with their families and getting their education.”BETTER THAN A TURNOVER – Walton has stressed to his team the importance of not committing turnovers in transition, so he was no exactly in a position to complain when Kentavious Caldwell-Pope found himself in a two-on-one late in the third quarter of Friday’s loss to Phoenix.Caldwell-Pope and Clarkson raced toward the basket, but rather than attack the rim, Caldwell-Pope earned a certain notoriety online when he stepped to the corner for a wide-open 3 he missed badly.“Well, considering some of the passes he had thrown in transition up to that point, if it was between that 3 and a turnover, I’ll take the shot,” Walton said. “We’ve showed that one in film. Obviously we want to attack the rim. That’s our philosophy right now.”Before Sunday, the Lakers ranked last in the NBA in 3-point shooting, making just 28.7 percent of their attempts. Caldwell-Pope’s arrival last summer was meant to help on that front.After shooting 35 percent from 3 last season in Detroit, the fifth-year guard has made just 30.6 percent of his attempts from behind the arc since joining the Lakers on a one-year, $18 million contract.“He likes shooting pull-up 3s in transition,” Walton said. “It’s part of what he does, so I’ve given him more freedom on that. … But on that specific one I would have liked to get to the rim.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers
The Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) breathing aid, developed in less than a week by mechanical engineers, doctors and the Mercedes Formula 1 team in conjunction with UCL (AFP Photo/James Tye)London, United Kingdom | AFP | Medical researchers and engineers have teamed up with Formula One outfit Mercedes to adapt a breathing aid for mass production that could keep coronavirus patients off much-needed ventilators.University College London said UK regulators had approved its adaptation of the continuous positive airway pressure device (CPAP), which helps patients with breathing difficulties.A version of the equipment, which increases air and oxygen flow into the lungs, has already been used in hospitals in Italy and China to help COVID-19 patients with serious lung infections.Teams at UCL and Mercedes have reverse-engineered the device and say they can make them quickly “by the thousands” and provide hospitals across Britain, as pressure builds due to more confirmed cases.Reports from Italy indicated about 50 percent of patients given CPAP did not need mechanical ventilation, which requires sedation and a tube placed into the patient’s windpipe, UCL said.Clinical trials with 100 of the machines are to be carried out at University College London Hospital, it added in a statement on Sunday.“These devices will help save lives by ensuring that ventilators, a limited resource, are used only for the severely ill,” said UCLH critical care consultant Mervyn Singer.“While they will be tested at UCLH first, we hope they will make a real difference to hospitals across the UK by reducing demand on intensive care staff and beds, as well as helping patients recover without the need for more invasive ventilation.” Britain’s state-run National Health Service currently has some 8,000 ventilators and the government has ordered 8,000 more. But there is concern there will be a shortage as the virus peaks.Prime Minister Boris Johnson has put his government on a war footing, appealing to major manufacturers and industry to repurpose their production, including for medical devices.Tim Baker, from UCL’s mechanical engineering department, said the process took days instead of years and improvements were made to the devices using computer simulations to help mass production.UK-based Formula One teams and their technology partners have been involved in a variety of schemes to meet medical needs in a partnership called “Project Pitlane”.With the season suspended due to the outbreak, they say they are well-placed to help because of their engineers’ expertise in rapid design, making prototypes, testing and assembly.Andy Cowell, managing director of Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrains, said: “We have been proud to put our resources at the service of UCL to deliver the CPAP project to the highest standards and in the fastest possible timeframe.”Share on: WhatsApp