Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

first_imgLinkedin Previous article#WATCH Wallace jailed for two hours for Shannon Airport breachNext articleDelorentos: Home Again John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print WhatsApp New high-end jobs for Shannon Twitter Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Flooding near O’Briensbridge Co Clare.Pic: Press 22RESIDENTS and business owners in flood-prone areas of Limerick and Clare are bracing themselves as water levels on the Shannon are set to peak by the weekend.Met Éireann also issued a further weather warning as 35mm of rain – almost a third of the average monthly rainfall for December – was due to fall on parts of the country.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up High-risk riverside areas such as Clonlara, Montpelier and Castleconnell are on alert as residents were told to prepare for the worst flooding in 20 years.The Irish Defence Forces were deployed to assist with flood defences in Clonlara in the early hours of Wednesday morning, as a number of homes in the Springfield area were cut off due to floodwater.Limerick City and County Council received confirmation from the ESB on Wednesday afternoon of its decision not to change the discharge level at the Parteen Weir from its current level of 375 cubic meters per second (cumecs).However, the local authority warned that water levels along the lower River Shannon at Montpelier, Castleconnell and the Mountshannon Road, Lisnagry are continuing to rise and that they could elevate further during the next few days.The council also indicated that road closures are expected in affected areas.On Wednesday, members of the Defence Forces arrived in Clonlara to deliver sandbags after Clare County Council sought their assistance.Water levels rose dramatically on Tuesday evening in the Lower River Shannon south of Parteen Weir resulting in the encroachment of floodwaters on a small number of properties in Springfield, Clonlara.Flooding in East Clare in Springfield, Clonlara where the river Shannon has once agin burst its banks. Philip Quinlivan pictured draining flood water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22A number of roads are impassable in the area, including the main road from Mount Catherine (DeCourcy) Bridge to Cottage Cross.Several properties have been isolated and the affected homeowners will be assisted with access to and from their properties by Clare Fire and Rescue Service and Clare Civil Defence.Local councillor Michael Begley told the Limerick Post: “The main artery through Springfield in Clonlara is no longer accessible by car. The army were here filling and delivering sandbags to the five houses that have been cut off .“A further four houses that are most at risk have been secured in so far as is possible. If the water reaches 2009 levels, there are another seven or eight houses at risk.”Upriver on the Limerick side of the Shannon, the Irish Red Cross has established an emergency drinking water collection point at Montpelier.“Bottled water is in position. The Limerick Red Cross organisation is on alert and communication with the local authority is ongoing,” said a Red Cross spokesperson.Limerick City and County Council is anticipating flooding in Castleconnell, Montpelier and the Mountshannon Road in Lisnagry.Local authority staff are distributing more than 2,000 sandbags in the flood-prone areas and are erecting flood defences, with pumping operations underway between Montpelier and Castleconnell.A flood boom, which is a large inflatable wall, was also installed in Castleconnell to channel floodwater away from the village.The flood defences were put in place after the ESB confirmed on Monday that it is to increase the release of water from the Parteen Weir from 315 cubic meters per second (cumecs) to 375 cumecs.Met Éireann also issued weather warnings for the West as 20-35mm of additional rainfall was forecast for Clare, Connacht, Donegal and Kerry on Wednesday.Liz Hogan and two of her children Aoife and Mark being rescued from their home which is surrounded by water. Photograph Liam Burke/Press 22According to the National Emergency Coordination Centre, there is a “high risk” of flooding along the Shannon region from Limerick city to Athlone over the coming days, while the OPW warned that river water levels would rise by about half a metre.Elsewhere, the government has pledged €15 million in financial aid for individuals and business affected by this week’s flooding, and has promised to fast-tract the funding to ensure that those in need receive it as soon as possible.Clare TD Michael McNamara has called for flood protection infrastructure to be put in place in East Clare “as a matter of urgency”. The Labour Party deputy said that as a result of climate change “catastrophic flooding is expected more frequently and flood protection infrastructure must be put in place to mitigate against this”.“The 2009 flooding was regarded as a hundred year event yet it has now been repeated scarcely six years later”, he said. Email Facebookcenter_img NewsLimerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters riseBy John Keogh – December 9, 2015 1434 Shannon Chamber Webinar to help people cope with the stresses of COVID-19 Is Aer Lingus taking flight from Shannon? Advertisement Family home in Castleconnell #LimerickPostProperty RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Only re-integration will solve Shannon Airport crisis TAGScastleconnellClareClare civil defenceClare County CouncilClare fire and rescueCllr Michael BegleyClonlaraESBfeaturedIrish Defence ForcesIrish Red CrosslimerickLimerick City and County CouncilMet ÉireannMichael McNamara TDMontpelierNational EMergency Coordination CentreStorm Desmond last_img read more

Read more on Limerick and Clare prepare for the worst as waters rise

Martinez defends McManaman

first_imgWigan boss Roberto Martinez believes Callum McManaman has been unfairly criticised for his challenge on Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara. Referee Mark Halsey missed the knee-high tackle during Wigan’s 2-1 victory at the DW Stadium a fortnight ago and McManaman was not punished retrospectively because one of the officials had seen the incident. Martinez said: “I think we’ve been going on and on too much about it. I think it was a football incident. We lost Ryo Miyaichi a couple of weeks back and he had to go through surgery and he’s out for the season. Those are incidents that happen in the game.” Press Associationcenter_img McManaman, 21, was confronted by an angry Newcastle assistant boss John Carver at half-time and figures within football have queued up to condemn the tackle. It was initially feared Haidara had suffered a serious injury but Newcastle have since confirmed he sustained only bad bruising and soft tissue damage, although no date has yet been set for his return. Martinez added: “I think we’re taking things out of context here. I think the whole incident has been a bit of an argument about the refereeing in the game. It was a challenge with no real intent. It was an unfortunate incident that happens on a football pitch. “I think we’ve been talking too much about it and it’s a bit unfair on a young man to have to suffer that.” There has been no official apology from Wigan but the two medical departments were in touch until it became clear Haidara was not seriously hurt, while McManaman also contacted the Newcastle player. The striker has started Wigan’s last two games, scoring in the FA Cup quarter-final win over Everton, but may miss Saturday’s Barclays Premier League clash with Norwich because of an ankle problem. Wigan boss Martinez added: “I did have concerns straight away. Anyone would. He’s had a very good development at the club. He’s been out on loan and I think he’s had enough experiences to know how to cope with anything the Premier League is going to throw at him.” last_img read more

Read more on Martinez defends McManaman

UW finally comes home

first_imgAfter 35 straight road games, the Wisconsin softball teamwill finally play their home opener Wednesday afternoon at Goodman Diamond.Hosting the University of Chicago-Loyola for a double header, the Badgers arejust glad to finally be at home.“It feels good, because we haven’t been on our field sincethe fall,” senior Lynn Anderson said. “It is exciting because a bunch ofparents are going to be there, and it is always fun to play in front of yourhome crowd.”“It is really exciting to finally be home,” junior TheresaBoruta added. “My parents are coming up, which is cool, and hopefully we canget a couple of wins.” UW (10-25) opened the Big Ten season last weekend and wasswept by both Northwestern and Michigan State. The Badgers have had troubleputting together consistent performances this season and find themselves miredin another funk.“We are in a little bit of a slump, but we can’t let it getto us,” Boruta said. “You can’t let it get to you because these games reallyare anybody’s games. We can’t think, ‘Well, we have lost the first four, sothere is nothing to look forward to’ when there is so much to look forward to.We just have to remain optimistic, and we will snap out of it.”Part of the reason for the recent slump can be attributed toa lack of offensive production. In the past four games, UW was shut out twiceand only scored five runs total. On the season, only two Badgers are hittingabove .250. To have success Wednesday, Wisconsin must figure out how tohit Loyola ace sophomore Amy Solava, who boasts a 2.96 ERA. “The key to scoring more runs is execution,” Boruta said.“When one runner gets on, we need to move her over and then have someone bringher in with an RBI. We need to do simple things like getting bunts down, and wehave to execute the fundamentals and the basics.”Loyola, on the other hand, is on a tear offensively and hasscored 29 runs in its past four games. It is led by sophomores Ellen Kresl andAngie Funston, who are batting .394 and .356 respectively. “We have to come in aggressive and keep the ball down,”sophomore pitcher Letty Olivarez said. “Obviously I gave up a few home runslast weekend because I let the ball get up in the strike zone. If you keep theball down, even if they hit it hard, it isn’t going to be a home run.”Some of the players feel that slumps happen when everyone onthe team is too tight. As a result, Boruta has made it her mission to looseneveryone up.“Quite frankly I just like to lighten the mood,” Borutasaid. “I am the loudest person on the team, but I think if we take ourselvestoo seriously we will put too much pressure on every game, and then we willnever get through it. I tell all the girls to have fun and joke around, becausethat is why we first started playing this game.”last_img read more

Read more on UW finally comes home

COVID-19: Beko donates to Adentan Health Directorate

first_img Tags: BekoCOVID-19 Electronic giant, Beko has supported Adenta Health Directorates with a number of brand new Ice Chest freezers and gallons of alcohol-based hand sanitizers.The items worth thousands of Cedis was to help fight the Coronavirus pandemic.Head of Beko electronics, Business Development of Forewin Ghana Limited Anthony Yared during the presentation today stated “The idea came from beko headquarters in Turkey in collaboration with our local entity Forewin Ghana to help fight the coronavirus pandemic.Turkey took the initiative from the beginning of the pandemic to innovate solutions through research and development in their highly technological facility and tasked us to support nursing homes and government entities.“We thought it prudent to support with Chest Freezers because it is the best option since it will help in the refrigeration of children’s medication under hygienic conditions. We will be supporting nine other families under Adentan Health Directorate.”The Deputy Director of Nursing Services in Adentan Municipality, Naomi Blankson expressed gross gratitude to Beko for the gesture saying, ” The Chest Freezers will indeed help us a great deal. It will save mothers from coming all the way from their various places to gather here. We can now freeze our Ice Packs in our freezers, meaning we don’t have to pay and freeze the vaccines for the kids. We can now take it to the fields for our community nurses to provide health services for our kids. We are grateful for this wonderful gesture. ”A public health service nurse Cyndi Ofori Appiah, who played a key role in contacting the donors for the gesture mentioned ” No doubt this gesture will help our community nurses stay longer on the fields, and that will prevent mothers from coming to gather at the facility. WHO and UNICEF have stated that children are vulnerable due to the fact that they may miss immunization during this COVID-19 period because mothers are scared to visit health centers, so this support will help a lot. We are most grateful to Beko. “last_img read more

Read more on COVID-19: Beko donates to Adentan Health Directorate