Wales closure fallout…compels workers to break labour agreementThe Agriculture Ministry is contending that all Wales, West Bank Demerara workers who were entitled to their severance package have already been paid but the workers’ union is maintaining otherwise.The Agriculture Ministry said it is surprised by the protest action taken by sugar workers who were attached to the Wales Estate on Monday outside of the Ministry of the Presidency.The workers, who are under the employ of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), are demanding their severance payment.Agriculture Minister Noel HolderGAWU President Komal ChandFormer cane harvesters of Wales Estate protesting outside the Ministry of the Presidency on MondayBut the Agriculture Ministry contended that the workers have already been paid their severance and that there is no severance payment outstanding.“The Ministry of Agriculture wishes to make it clear that GuySuCo has advised that all workers who had been declared redundant had accepted severance following the merging of the Wales and Uitvlugt operations and have been paid their severance in full,” the Ministry said in a statement.The Ministry said the organised protest actions and demands for severance is unreasonable. The Ministry explained that extensive efforts were made to ensure continued employment of the Wales workers at Uitvlugt and this was successfully achieved.Further, it said that transportation is being fully provided to Uitvlugt from the West Bank of Demerara and back.“GuySuCo has stated that no worker is responsible for providing their own transportation. As a pertinent example, workers who have been previously assigned to work at the Skeldon Estate are now working at Albion, a much further distance to travel, and have been doing so without any issue,” the Ministry stated.It went on to say that “this purported issue of not wanting to work at Uitvlugt is disingenuous. The issue previously was being unemployed following the merger of the Wales and Uitvlugt factory operations.”“There is no option for workers who were offered alternative employment to now make demands for severance when no such offer is on the table and there is full and secure employment for them at Uitvlugt,” the Ministry stated.Union’s takeHowever, President of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU), Komal Chand posited that the workers would be “insane” to embark on a protest for their severance if they had already received it.These workers, who are cane cutters and members of the cane transport gang, were told that they must take up work at Uitvulgt but they responded with resistance because they were not paid their severance, according to the GAWU President.“There work has become redundant and according to the law, if your work has become redundant you have to [be paid] your severance pay for the service you have rendered to the employer,” Chand outlined.Further, he noted that the law states that an individual is not required to work at another location that belongs to the employer if that location is more than 10 miles away – as with the case of Wales and Uitgvult.Close to 300 cane harvesters converged at the eastern gate of the Head of State’s Office on Monday last, continuing what they started the previous Monday in the West Bank Demerara (WBD) village of Wales.According to the protesters, it would seem as if the officials of GuySuCo are forcing them to commence working at Uitvulgt Estate located on the West Coast of Demerara (WCD), which is approximately 40 miles from Wales. They say they prefer to be paid their severance and then make a decision whether or not they want to commute to Uitvulgt.
Prince George/Peace River MP Jay Hill announced on Thursday the Child Development Center will receive 47 thousand dollars from the Federal Government. The money will go towards the building’s new Life Skills Centre, an environment where children with disabilities can learn new skills. Hill says around 600 people with disabilities in the community will benefit from the project.- Advertisement – [asset|aid=971|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=1af99d06f09dc7f2c9d21b27ccfe62c8-CDC Jay Hill 1_1_Pub.mp3] The money comes from the Enabling Accessibility Fund. Over the next three years 45 million dollars will be distributed to organizations throughout Canada. Senator Richard Neufeld celebrated the announcement and encourages the community to contribute to the CDC.Advertisement [asset|aid=972|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=1af99d06f09dc7f2c9d21b27ccfe62c8-CDC Richard Neufeld 1_1_Pub.mp3] The announcement comes at an appropriate time. February is CDC month, and the organization is fundraising for a building expansion.
Bengaluru, Dec 5 (PTI) Indias ace cueist Pankaj Advani has welcomed the initiative to live stream the action from the IBSF World Billiards Championship. “Its great that the action is reaching more than 100,000 billiards fans across the country. The best way to learn the sport is to see the top players in action and I am sure the live telecast will encourage the youngsters not just to pick up the game but also make billiards their career option,” said Advani on the first day of the Championship. Sports App Sports Flashes is to telecast the matches Live. Apart from the defending champion Advani, Sourav Kothari, winner of the National Billiards Championship 2016, Dhruv Sitwala, 2015 & 2016 Asian billiards champion, Rupesh Shah, two-time world champion, Peter Gilchrist, winner of the WPBSA World Championship in 1994, 2001 & 2013, Ben Judge of Australia, Englishmen Nalin Patel and Robert Hall are some of the participants who are vying for the title. The eight-day championship that includes the Long Up format and the Points format offers a prize purse of USD 20,000. PTI AT AT
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is once again teaming up with NBA Cares for Hoops for St. Jude Week March 20 – 27 to raise awareness and support for the hospital’s lifesaving mission.Greg Monroe of the Milwaukee Bucks shares a special moment with St. Jude patient Colton during a recent team visit to St. Jude Children’s Research HospitalCredit/Copyright: Peter Barta/2015 St. Jude Children’s Research HospitalEach year NBA stars, coaches, broadcasters and fans rally behind St. Jude, which is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases.Regardless of the final score, the kids of St. Jude get the “w” during Hoops for St. Jude Week, when NBA teams and players shine a light on the work and successes of St. Jude through online, social media and in-game promotions, in addition to hosting local patients in-arena. NBA coaches also will wear St. Jude lapel pins during games to show solidarity throughout the week. St. Jude NBA ambassadors who make regular visits to the hospital will encourage fans to join the fight to save the lives of children battling cancer and other life-threatening diseases.2016 Hoops for St. Jude Week Ambassadors: • David Lee, Dallas Mavericks • Greg Monroe, Milwaukee Bucks • Kevin Love, Cleveland Cavaliers • Mike Conley, Memphis Grizzlies • Marc Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies • Pau Gasol, Chicago Bulls“We are deeply appreciative of the continued support of the NBA Family, fans and our ambassadors year-round,” said Richard Shadyac Jr., President and CEO of ALSAC, the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. “Hoops for St. Jude Week provides a national platform to celebrate their efforts and further highlight how we are truly making a difference in the lives of kids everywhere.”NBA support stretches beyond Hoops for St. Jude Week, with player and team visits throughout the year that never fail to brighten the day for St. Jude patients. Just this season, the hospital has hosted on-site visits by players, coaches, broadcasters, owners and staff from the Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons, Milwaukee Bucks, Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies and Washington Wizards.Thanks to support generated through campaigns like Hoops for St. Jude Week, families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food – because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.For more information, visit stjude.org/hoops.
BoJack (Will Arnett) inadvertently becomes a voice for woke men in Season 5 of BoJack Horseman, writes Johanna Schneller. (NETFLIX) It’s been quite the week for the question of forgiveness.There was Jian Ghomeshi’s tone-deaf feint toward atonement in the New York Review of Books, followed by Isaac Chotiner’s delicate vivisection of the Review’s editor, Ian Buruma, on Slate. Asked why he published Ghomeshi — and made the essay part of a package issue called “The Fall of Men” — Buruma stubbornly stuck to his older-white-male line. Because women have had, like, 11 full months of attention, so I guess it’s time to hand everything back over to the dudes?Then, on NBC’s Today show, Sean Penn called the #MeToo movement “a receptacle of the salacious,” calling for more nuance — for the men accused, not for the women. (Perhaps Sean should bone up on the meaning of the word “nuance.”) Julie Chen left her job as co-host of CBS’s The Talk, in the wake of her husband Les Moonves’s ouster as head of the network due to repeated alleged sexual misconduct. And Brett Kavanaugh, nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, didn’t ask for forgiveness after being accused of sexual assault; he denied it ever happened. Advertisement Facebook Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement Twitter