‘Whistleblower’ protests outside company which let her go

first_imgEmail Twitter Previous articleStrong element of organised crime in sex industryNext articleLimerick Permanent TSB jobs saved admin WhatsApp Linkedin “I was called in and told I was being suspended from the nursing home for the comfort of the client,” she told the Limerick Post.Ms Barry contacted Employment Rights Officer, Frank McDonald, who said: “I told the company they couldn’t suspend her when she had done nothing wrong. Besides which, they had followed no procedure, no warnings of any kind. When I told them that the suspension was illegal, they said they had used the wrong words, that she was actually being laid off”. The company offered a number of alternative hours but, “there was no way I could do them without getting childcare which I couldn’t afford and there were too few hours.”Ms Barry and Mr McDonald asked the company to take part in an hearing with a rights commissioner, but they declined.‘They are entitled to do that so we are considering gong to the Labour Court,” Mr McDonald said.In the meantime, the laid-off worker says “I want justice. I’ve lost my job because I did the right thing and now I’m at the loss of my wages. I want people to know this has happened,” she said.After the Limerick Post first printed her story in May, this newspaper was contacted by an officer of the National Employment Rights Authority, who was in turn put in contact with the whistleblower.A spokesperson for the company said: “We are aware of Ms Barry’s claims, and are dealing with the matter through the appropriate mechanisms”.Lisa Barry protesting outside Xcel Xecutive Cleaners Ltd, John’s Gate, with from left; Frank McDonnell, Limerck Resource Centre, her daughter Ali, partner Damion Mansfield and Cormac Ronan. Facebook NewsLocal News‘Whistleblower’ protests outside company which let her goBy admin – July 26, 2012 1167 A CONTRACT cleaner who claims she lost her job because she reported an incident of elder abuse, staged a protest outside her former employer’s office this week. Lisa Barry claims she was effectively fired after reporting an alleged incident in which a staff member at a Limerick nursing home caught an 80-year old woman by the arm and threw her into a chair, as reported in the Limerick Post in May. The lone parent has not worked since she lost her job with the city-centre based Xcel Xecutive Cleaners Ltd. earlier this year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Advertisement Printlast_img read more

Read more on ‘Whistleblower’ protests outside company which let her go

The First Ski-Roller Competition in BiH held on Pale

first_imgThe first ski roller competition was organized in BiH on the occasion of the Day of the Municipality of Pale.In the technical organization of SK Romanija and with the great support of the Municipality of Pale and Mayor Bosko Jugovic, more than 50 contestants participated in a new sporting event that took place in the center of Pale at 6:00 PM. The competition was exceptional, and our skiing and biathlon team, as well as the candidates for the Pyeong Chang Olympics 2018, performed together.According to organizers, guests and numerous attendees, this was a very successful competition, and the organizers are hoping to add it to the calendar of the International Ski Federation next year. They are also hoping to be able to maintain important competitions for the Ski Alliance of BiH and for BH participants throughout the year.(Source: klix.ba)last_img read more

Read more on The First Ski-Roller Competition in BiH held on Pale

Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju responds to Nikhat Zareen’s plea to have a trial bout…

first_imgImage Courtesy: Instagram(@zareennikhat)/IANSAdvertisement r2NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsj2rlweWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eoxirk( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) swuWould you ever consider trying this?😱982Can your students do this? 🌚4tmRoller skating! Powered by Firework Nikhat Zareen, the flyweight boxer from Nizamabad took it to the platform of Twitter to request a trial for the 2020 AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament, in the form of an official letter to Kiren Rijiju , the Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs, who now has has finally prompted a reply to her petition.aAdvertisement Image Courtesy: Instagram(@zareennikhat)/IANSNikhat, the 23 year old who is currently pursuing a degree in Bachelor of Arts at AV College, wrote a formal tweet along with the official letter to the sports minister, requesting a trial in the 51 kg category against the country’s superstar pugilist MC Mary Kom to have a chance to perform at the Olympic qualifier in Wuhan, China in February 2020.The 2nd India Open International Boxing Tournament silver medalist tweeted yesterday: “All I want is a fair chance. If I’m not given the opporunity to compete what am I training for. Sports is about Fair Play & I dont want to loose faith in my country. Jai Hind.”Advertisement Her post got massive social media attention and support, including the likes of former professional shooter and Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra and Olympian Shiva Keshavan, and soon came into Rijiju’s attention.The Saffron party minister replied to Nikhat’s plea today, stating “I’ll surely convey to Boxing Federation to take the best decision keeping in mind the best interest of the NATION, SPORTS & ATHLETES. Although, Minister should not be involved in the selection of the players by the Sports Federations which are autonomous as per OLYMPIC CHARTER”Advertisement Previously, the Boxing Federation of India decided that all male World Championship medalists, but only the gold and silver female medalists will get direct entry into Olympic qualifiers, as according to them, some women boxing categories in the World Championships were not as competitive as their male counterparts. Nikhat was a victim of this policy, as her qualifier event in August was cancelled. Advertisementlast_img read more

Read more on Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju responds to Nikhat Zareen’s plea to have a trial bout…

Voters Reject $28.1 Million School Spending Plan

first_imgBy John BurtonSHREWSBURY – Borough voters sent a strong message of “no” to the Board of Education with the outcome of this week’s school referendum.Borough residents defeated the four-part $28.1 million referendum which was intended for some upkeep and improvements, to purchase a neighboring property and to cover the cost of constructing an addition for the Shrewsbury Borough Elementary School, 20 Obre Place.As of Wednesday afternoon, according to the county clerk’s office, the unofficial vote totals –which include mail-in ballots but not provisional ballots – had the vote for Question 1 at 844 no and 525 for yes, for whether the public school district could bond for $13.4 million to do upgrades to the existing building, including putting on a new roof and installing new windows and improving the heating and ventilation system; for Question 2, to spend roughly $11.2 million for an addition, the tally was 1,048 no and 309 yes; Question 3, which asked for approval to install roof-mounted solar panels for approximately $1.6 million, the vote was 1,011 no and 348 yes; and for Question 4, to purchase property for an addition, 1,098 voted against the proposition, while 248 endorsed it.The district would have been eligible to receive 40 percent state aid reimbursement for portions of the projects.School Superintendent Brent A. McConnell was not immediately available for comment on Wednesday following the vote.Residents were clearly divided on the proposals, waging battle by way of social media and competing lawn signs, with supporters touting the benefits the projects mean for the greater community, while opponents voicing fear of the tax impact on property owners. Referendum critics sent a mailer to borough voters just prior to the vote laying out their objections to the proposal.Resident and parent Maura Galligan said of that mailer, “They were misleading and muddied the water.”Three of Galligan’s four children attend the school, with her youngest attending in a couple of years. She actively supported the referendum believing it was in the best interest of children and the community.As to the results, “I’m saddened and upset,” said Galligan, especially for Question 1’s defeat. “In my heart of hearts I believed number one would have passed,” given the work to the school’s infrastructure is vital, she said.Jim Halpern, a former board of education member who opposed the referendum, observed “the thing that was most significant was that 43 percent of registered voters came out” on an off-election, less than two weeks to the holidays. “Which I think we got a pretty good read on how the town really feels about this,” he said.Halpern offered a more nuanced perspective on the vote: “It’s not ‘no.’ That’s not what the town said,” he said. “In my opinion the town wants the board of education to rework the referendum taking input from everybody this time. That’s the difference.”That lack of input from some quarters of the community was what, in part, had Jacqui Caruso-Smith vote against all four provisions. Caruso-Smith, also a former board member and a former educator, said “There needs to be better communication,” between the board and the greater community.“You have to consider there is a senior population in town,” and they and “more of the stakeholders needed to be involved in the planning,” she said, criticizing the board for an alleged “lack of transparency.”“If you want to have something pass, you have to involve the stakeholders and listen to what they’re saying and not just come up with this expensive proposal and not communicate what’s in it for everyone,” Caruso-Smith said.The board conducted a series of public information sessions and tours of the existing building.Pam MacNeill, a retired educator, voted for the solar panels and infrastructure work, thinking, “it’s too bad it was bundled together like that,” with four provisions. If school officials had tried to get what was most needed now and waited to try for the addition at some other point the referendum might have stood a better chance, she said.Given the price tag attached, “I’m wondering if that might not have scared people,” MacNeill said.“It involved a lot of what the school needed but some of what the school wanted and I just thought there were more cost effective ways of doing what they wanted to do,” was how it boiled down for Caruso-Smith.“I don’t think there was a lot of constructive criticism,” coming from opponents, Galligan said.“Hopefully, on the bright side, we’ll be able to mobilize the community to move in the positive way,” in the near future.The next board of education meeting is Dec. 20 and Galligan plans to attend to hear what the next move will be.last_img read more

Read more on Voters Reject $28.1 Million School Spending Plan